Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Namaste or At Home I'll Stay

I recently attended a wood turning symposium in Franklin, Tennessee where I learned, among other things, a new word: Namaste.

A presenter was demonstrating how he makes small bowls from wood in a series he calls Namaste.  When I watched the demonstration I didn't think too much about the word but later got curious and looked up the meaning.  The term refers to a greeting used primarily in India used upon meeting someone or taking leave from the person.  The greeting involves a slight bow, the hands held up to one's chest, palms inward and pressed together, similar to what I grew up thinking of as praying hands.

I didn't think much of the word until a short time later when the US president visited India and used  and was greeted with the gesture.

I heard the term again recently when it has been suggested that this be used to replace the handshake or hug traditional in western greetings as it is safer in a time of concern about spreading a virus.

At the symposium I spent two days in close quarters with others and was concerned about the flu so I took extra precautions, washing my hands frequently and using hand-sanitizer even more frequently.  Two days after I returned home, I was diagnosed with Flu A!  Makes me wish I had known about Namaste earlier!

Health experts tell us that the most serious threat from the COVID-19 virus is to elderly men.  While I don't consider myself to be elderly, I do fit the demographic to be concerned so I'm trying to find ways to protect myself and those around me.  My experience in Franklin shows that good hand hygiene, while critical, alone can't protect against airborne viruses.  So I'll practice "social isolation" when I can.  I mean it will be hard to spend more time in my workshop alone but I think I can make that sacrifice for the good of mankind!  And, since our emergency stock of food includes a lot of cans of beans, you'll want me to stay in my workshop!

As far as greeting someone, I'll use the elbump instead of a handshake and a wink instead of a hug and I might even greet you with a Namaste but if I do, consider that I'm saying "I'm pleased to see you but let's not share cooties right now" when I do.

We've been taught that a firm handshake is a sign of good character.  How do we judge character in an elbump or a Namaste greeting??

At Home I'll Stay until this passes.

Namaste!


No comments:

Post a Comment